Are you on Facebook? I love facebook for the ability to connect with my friends in real life on my personal account, and my site readers on my business account. I’ve had a little frustration lately on the biz side of things. Did you know that facebook has changed lately, and those that have LIKED my facebook page are seeing it less and less? I’ve got a little over 6,000 facebook followers, but with the new facebook changes, on any given post, only 1,000 or so people are seeing those posts. If I want more, I’m supposed to pay facebook to promote my post, and it will show to more to more, but still not all of the people who want to see. Enter the frustration of bloggers and small businesses.
I get it, facebook is a business, but I’m just frustrated that I’m such a small business it doesn’t make sense to pay what they are asking to share my posts with the people who already want to see. If you’re good with seeing my posts every once in a while, then I’m good, too;) I’ve come to invite those of you that MOSTLY follow me through facebook posts to do one of a few things IF you still want to keep seeing what I’m up to on my site.
1) Subscribe to blogs via RSS or email subscription. If you read blogs via google reader or elsewhere, you can do the RSS thing. For a long time, I didn’t do much with that, if that is you, then the EASIEST option if you only read a handful of blogs is to subscribe via email. I do this for my favorite blogs, and get them as an email in my inbox. I can read it there, or it is a reminder to click over and read it on their site (bloggers love/need page click over’s to survive). I’ll just right click on the title in my email and open a new tab, and scroll through the post that day. But sometimes I’m in a rush and just glance over it in my email. SUPER convenient! It looks a little different on each blog, but below is a screenshot of where it is on mine.
2) Facebook Interest Lists. This is a fairly new feature on facebook, as they’ve tried to compete with google + and their circles. You basically create a list of your favorite reads that you don’t want to miss. You can do that when you are on your favorite pages, see the example below/left. You just have to remember when you are on your facebook home page to look on your left sidebar under pages, groups, you’ll see INTERESTS (below/right). I am a member of a few different facebook groups which are also on the left sidebar, and I’ve started remember to check those before my news feed, as I prefer to read that over my news feed at times. So if you have 10 or 20 or more FAVORITES that you want to make sure you see, create a favorites list, and you’ll always see what they have to share.
3) Twitter. I’m not so good at tweeting, but if YOU are, this may be fore you. I do have my blog posts linked to twitter so that when I post on my blog, it automatically puts out a tweet for me saying a new post is up. Then you’d click over to read from there. I also like to tweet my Instagram pics from time to time. Click on the little birdie up in my blog header to follow me on twitter.
4) Internet Favorites Folder. Some people utilized their internet browser favorite’s folders. You can save your favorite sites in a folder, and click on it when you have a few extra minutes each day for some light reading of your faves.
* Though I have a G+ account, I’m not contributing to it much, can’t figure out that little spot on the web. I thought for a time that I had my posts to automatically link, now I’m not sure it is doing that. Any tips?
Of course I love to hear from all of you, so I know that I’m not talking to myself, but I can see when you are coming, and it makes me happy to know that you keep coming back;) So IF you want to make sure you get your daily fill of Capturing Joy, check out those options above!