When my friend Emily introduced me to her homemade oven baked croutons, I just couldn’t turn back to the hard ones from the box anymore. These puppies are melt-in-your-mouth delicious, and rather quick to whip up!
We had our church missionaries (the 20 something boys with white shirts and ties) over for dinner last night, and when I asked what they REALLY wanted to eat, there was a request for a Caesar Salad with the meal. These croutons instantly came to my mind. You can use any bread, but french bread is my preference (then I can sneak some of the middle out to nibble on).
I cut up the bread into cubes…melted the butter with some spices, salt, & pepper…then tossed the bread in the bowl. Cooks about ten minutes, flipping them halfway through….YUM YUM!Serve with salad or eat all by itself…I kept snacking on them all night! They last about 3 days in a tight container.
The actual recipe:
Homemade Oven Baked Croutons
MAKES ABOUT 6 CUPS
Either fresh or stale bread can be used in this recipe, although stale bread is easier to cut and crisps more quickly in the oven (but I kinda like it softer). To use stale bread, reduce the baking time by about two minutes. Croutons made from stale bread will be more crisp than those made from fresh. Be sure to use regular or thick-sliced bread.
12 slices white sandwich bread or a loaf of french bread sliced cut into ½-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 T Italian Seasoning
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees and plan to place the sheet on the top oven rack. Combine bread cubes, butter, seasoning, salt and pepper to taste in medium bowl. Toss well with spatula to combine.
2. Spread croutons in single layer baking sheet (with edge). Bake croutons, turning halfway, until golden brown and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. After cooling, croutons can be stored in an airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 days.
Have you ever made your own croutons before? I didn’t realize I could!
Linking up to a few parties:
Latest posts by Kristen Duke (see all)
- Fruit Smoothie Ice Cream Pie with Waffle Cone Crust - May 23, 2013
- Almond White Chocolate Caramel Corn - May 22, 2013
- Summer Favorite Things - May 19, 2013