It’s been a while since I posted a photo tip, and this is also a Decorating with Pictures idea! I’m so excited to share How to turn Images into One Color in Photoshop. It’s a very artistic twist for pictures, and I love how this turned out. I shared the image below on my Girls Fancy Room Makeover, and my girls think it is so fun!
Since I already had my Fancy Gallery Wall in my girls room, I wanted a few more pictures up from that shoot, but more subtle. Above their headboard provided just the spot for 3 white frames and pictures, so I decided to turn each image into just one color for a splash of ARTSY mixed into the scene.
In Photoshop, I’m often using the Color Value. When I pull up a color, there is a code at the bottom of my pop up that describes the specific color that I can grab and use when needed. I had specific color shades that I wanted to use for my images, so I took my eye dropper color picker in photoshop and “grabbed” the colors from images I’d taken in the girls room: teal blue, purple, and lime green.
Once I had my preferred colors, this is how I made my art:
- Step 1: Open up your image and convert to grayscale by going Image>Mode>Grayscale.
- Step 2: Go to Image>Mode>Duotone
- Step 3: In Duotone, choose “monotone” under the dropdown menu.
- Step 4: click the color swatch for the color you want to use (or I copy the exact color code I want into the box). It generally starts off black.
- Step 5: Once you’ve selected your color, you have converted your color to a pantone color
- Step 6: Now this type of file doesn’t save as a .jpg, so you have to go over to Image>Mode>RGB color
- Step 6: File>Save as and rename the file
Here is a screen shot of step 1
I printed my image on cardstock on my home printer, but you can also print at a photo lab.
I LOVE how this turned out! Not wanting to ding the pink planked wall too much, I used Command Strips to stick ‘em to the wall.
I only use photoshop, so if someone makes a tutorial for picmonkey or another software, let me know and I’ll link it up.
Latest posts by Kristen Duke (see all)
- Fruit Smoothie Ice Cream Pie with Waffle Cone Crust - May 23, 2013
- Almond White Chocolate Caramel Corn - May 22, 2013
- Summer Favorite Things - May 19, 2013