The name Haystacks comes from the base of rice, but the pineapple and coconut slivers make it Hawaiian and the soy sauce/chow mein noodles are Asian inspired.
Cuisine: American, Asian, Hawaiian
- White sauce:
- 3-4 Chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cup milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or substitute homemade version
- onion powder or minced onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup coconut slivers
- 1 cup almond slivers
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 1 cup pineapple chunks fresh or from can
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Served over:
- 1 cup cooked rice
Start rice. Make white sauce with butter, flour, salt, and milk.
Add soup and onion and cooked chicken.
Serve rice, then sauce, then toppings as you please.