There is this Tex-Mex restaurant just down the road from me called Chuys that introduced me to this creamy jalapeno ranch dip 10 years ago. Everyone raves about it, says they could swim in it or have it drenched over their heads and they’d be happy. I tend to agree. They serve it with their chips and salsa (but only if you ask). They also serve it as a dressing for their salads. I came across a recipe at one point, but I changed it around a bit and added the limes.
If you see the word “jalapeno” and want to turn away–DON’T! I do not like jalapeno’s by themselves. I don’t put them on anything, in fact when I was making this, the idea of pickled jalapeno’s made my stomach turn just a bit as a spooned them out of the jar. But I pressed forward because I knew the end result was pure delicious-ness.
- ½ cup mayo
- 16 oz. sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup tomatilla salsa
- 1 small handful cilantro
- 5 T Ranch dressing mix (or 1.5 packets)
- ⅓ cups pickled jalapeños
- 1 squeezed lime juice
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- In a large blender or food processor, pulse til smooth
- Refrigerate 30 minutes serve with tortilla chips.
- This dip can continue to be refrigerated, covered, for about a week. If you want it more runny for a dressing, add more lime juice
Here is a close up of the two unique ingredients that you likely won’t have at home and may be searching for at the store:
The jalapeno’s give a bit of a kick to the ranch, but not too much. I don’t care for too much spice in my food.
Whip up a batch to celebrate Cinco de Mayo this weekend! Or just to enjoy in a quiet corner of your home;) What do you think? Sound weird? Delicious? Can anyone out there vouch for this goodness along with me? Try it, you won’t regret it!
If you like this dip, you might also enjoy my Easy 4 ingredient queso with Velveeta Block Cheese
Latest posts by Kristen Duke (see all)
- How to start a photography business: What to Charge - April 22, 2014
- On my Mind in April - April 21, 2014
- Monday Funday - April 20, 2014