I’m so very excited to share with you a recipe for True Belgian Waffles, they have pearl sugar & yeast in them, and making them made my heart sing! I’ve always loved a great waffle, and for years I’ve tried different irons and recipes, never making something I loved. Every time I go to Salt Lake City, I plan to make a stop at Bruges Waffles and Frites because I love them SO much (the frites/fries are pretty amazing, too). What I realized was inside of those waffles are little sugar crystals, so I set out to find what that was. Pearl Sugar! I looked around my hometown, but found nothing. Sure enough, I found it on Amazon, and it came quickly after I ordered! I also discovered a recipe with yeast that would make it crunchy on the outside, but soft on the inside.
Here is a close up of the True Belgian Waffles without all the extra stuff.
The pearl sugar on it’s own…
Pearl sugar in the yeast-y dough/batter.
Maybe dough isn’t new to you for waffles, but it was to me! Here is the recipe:
- 3.5 cups flour
- 1 T dry yeast
- ¾ cup lukewarm milk
- 8 oz softened butter (2 sticks)
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- cinnamon (optional)
- 8 oz. Belgian pearl sugar
- optional toppings: whipped cream, fruit, chocolate/caramel sauce, light syrup
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk.Gradually add all ingredients to the flour, except the pearl sugar. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size (I like to put it by the window or on a warm stovetop). This can take around 30 minutes. After the dough rises, add the Belgian pearl sugar. Divide the dough into small balls 3-4 ounces each. Bake in a heated and greased waffle iron. The melted sugar crystals will be very hot, so use tongs when handling.
- This batch served my family of 6 well with a little leftover.
You must try them!
If you want to get the pearl sugar, you can get it on Amazon. Had you ever heard of pearl sugar before? Any other recipes with it? Had you put yeast in your waffle batter before? Try it!
Get the inside scoop!
Need more family fun ideas? Sign up for our FREE mailing list to get them straight in your inbox!
Latest posts by Kristen Duke (see all)
- Pepperoni Sausage Pizza Dip Recipe - February 6, 2016
- 12 Valentine’s Day Photography Ideas for Babies and Toddlers - February 5, 2016
- Valentine’s Day Coupons - February 3, 2016