I’m so excited to share that I made my FIRST homemade ice cream last week with my kids! It was a BIG hit, I’ve already got plans to make another flavor. I wanted to do something fun and different, so we died the ice cream BLUE, threw in a bunch of cookies, and called it Cookie Monster Ice Cream. I even learned a way to make it that I don’t need to have a machine, check it out!
As part of National Ice Cream month,
I’m teaming up with Real Seal to share this post. They are on a mission to encourage the world to DRINK REAL DAIRY, NOT SUPPLEMENTS! We LOVE milk around here, and this ice cream was made with some real deal dairy goodness.
Dairy fact: Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, maintaining fluid balance, transporting nutrients, and aiding in muscle contraction. We love our protein, right??
This ice cream idea all came together when I hosted a little Instagram game the other day, asking about favorite flavors of ice cream. Someone mentioned they’d been to an ice cream shot that sells Cookie Monster Ice Cream, and that it was blue, just like that cute little monster, and I thought it would be so fun to make with my kiddos!
They loved helping chop up the cookies and mix in the dairy. I think it was fun to see how one of their favorite treats was put together.
The hardest part is spreading out the jobs enough so that they all feel equally participating. This recipe is SUPER simple, and if you are ok with dying your food every once in a while, the BLUE is pretty fun, but you don’t have to add that part in.
This recipe makes a good half gallon, yumminess for several days!
Here is the recipe:
- ice cream:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1-14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- mix in's:
- 10 Oreo cookies
- 10 Chips Ahoy cookies
- Blue food coloring paste (approx ¼ tsp.)
- Chill a metal bowl and/or beater blades for at least 30 minutes.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Beat the cream cheese until creamy.
- Slowly add the sweetened condensed milk and beat again.
- Add in the blue food coloring, as much or as little as possible.
- Fold in the whipped cream gently.
- Stir in the cookie chunks.
- Transfer to a freezer friendly dish (I used a bread loaf pan)
- Freeze 4-6 hours or overnight
Make some Cookie Monster Ice Cream with your kids, ASAP!
See also the Blueberry Yogurt Protein Bites made with Real Seal Dairy.
Love hearing about way to create a closer family? Want a FREE copy of 10 Intentional Ways to Bring your Family Closer Together e-book? Join my bestie club (it's free, too), to get them straight in your inbox. Exclusive goodies just for my faves.