For some, the next few days will be filled with travel and family and craziness! For others, they might be relaxing at home with a good book or craft activity. This Fabric Christmas Countdown Chain is a fun activity to whip up that you can enjoy year after year! I shared this a few weeks ago at I Heart Nap Time, and now I’m sharing it at my “home.”
This was a new idea I’d seen recently when my sister in law was making some. I was excited to make my own. I gathered a whole bunch of fabrics that would look great together for a fabric chain.
You can stick with traditional red and green, but I threw in some yellow, gold, and off white as well.
- 1/4 yard of 3-5 different fabrics
- Velcro strips
- sewing machine
Here are the simple steps to making the fabric strips:
- Cut fabric 5×10 inches (as many as you’d like 12-25)
- Fold each strip in half length wise and iron for secure folds
- Cut 1×10 inch interfacing strips (12-25)
- Stick interfacing into the corner folded strips F
- Fold down the excess fabric into itself, like making bias tape, iron down
- Sew along edges
- Sew (or cheat with hot glue) velcro onto each strip
These really are a fun piece of decor to have around the holidays, they’d be great in birthday colors as well, and fabulous handmade gift ideas! You can just do the “12 Days of Christmas” on up to all 25 days starting December 1st (or more if you’re REALLY excited to count down). I’m really digging’ how this looks draped across my Sliding Barn Door TV cover in my Family Room.
If you really don’t want to make one–ask my sister in law to make you one. She can even do custom colors for birthdays or other holidays. It’s so fun!
Latest posts by Kristen Duke (see all)
- 27 Fun & Creative Ideas for Beach Pictures - April 24, 2014
- Peanut Butter Cup Brown Butter Bars - April 23, 2014
- How to start a photography business: What to Charge - April 22, 2014