I’m so excited to share the first pictures in our Guest Room Makeover-in-Progress with Sherwin-Williams. I kind-of hate admitting that we have a guest room. It seems so…so…ritzy, and I don’t feel like I’m that way at all. We do have a beautiful home that I’m very grateful for, but recognize not everyone has a room like this that waits for guests. I have been dragging my feet to share about this room, because I’ve wanted to wait until it is DONE to share it, but I have had a lapse in creativity with home decorations the past year, and I’m here to ask you for your help and suggestions!!!
With 4 kids and 4 bedrooms, we are blessed to have a “spare room” that stays empty a lot of the time, mainly because we’ve chosen to have our boys share a room, and our girls share a room, and I hope to always keep it that way.
So far, they all love it, so I have no plans to alter that! But I LOVE having a great space for our guests when they come, I’d hardly say it’s been EMPTY!
My parents live 3 hours away, and for the past nearly 5 years that we’ve been in our home, it’s been a great spot for them to escape to when they come, and unload their bags without kids rummaging through them. I also had all my brothers here in Texas the past few years, and we were fortunate to have them crash here on weekend visits. MY husbands family, high school friends, etc. have all been able to use this room without shuffling around the kids. A year ago, we were also fortunate enough to be able to take in my husband’s sister and family for 6 months while they looked for a job, and that room was their own little corner of the house. I love having an “open door” policy with out-of-town friends, and I hope they know they can ALWAYS drop in for a place to stay!
Last September, when I hosted a few blogging friends for a weekend at my home, I forced myself to get the room painted and with a bedspread, that would be worthy of my DIY creative friends to sleep in. My friends at Sherwin-Williams helped me out in the paint department, which was fabulous, because I LOVE their paint! The quality is exceptional, and it doesn’t stink like others!
Here is my attempt to perfectly throw the throw on the bed, as if it’s there all the time like that. Look how perfectly made that bed is, I should do that for my bed, too. Make it, that is.
Here are the paint colors from Sherwin-Williams that I used for this room:
- The light gray on 3 walls is Knitting Needles (SW 7672)
- The white on the ceiling is Snowbound (SW 7004)
- The navy accent wall is Dignity Blue (SW 6804)
I’ve passed along the gray color to many people, it’s my new favorite neutral. It was also used in my Living Room, and in two bathrooms that I haven’t done anything else to, yet. I also think the Navy is the PERFECT compliment to the green bedding.
I had ripped a picture of this bedding out of the Pottery Barn catalog a good year before I purchased it, and it hung in my office and I mulled over the color scheme for that space. 4 years ago I had a whole other color palate in my head, and it turned a complete 360!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color combo of Kelly Green and Navy blue, and very happy with how it turned out.
Details of items in the room:
- The green patterned bedspread is from Pottery Barn Teen, and is the Peyton Duvet Cover + Sham in Kelly Green (on sale now, it’s been there over a year, so may not be there too much longer)
- I got 2 accent pillows, the white lamp, and the blanket casually draped over the bed, from Target. (Will update with links when I find them).
- The Fanimation Fan on the ceiling is from National Builder Supply a good year ago. It’s only got 2 blades, but it’s a great tornado in the summer when it’s hot up there!
- The mirror above the bed is from Hobby Lobby, and I almost took it back 2 years ago right after I got it, but I lost the receipt, so it sat in my room all that time, waiting….until I decided what to do with it….and I like it here!
- Drapes and 1 pillow made by my local friend Lori from fabric I gave her.
- The two cute bedside tables in pale yellow, I found at Good Will for $15 each (found them when I was hunting for the perfect dresser to paint red for our playroom). I kinda like the touch of yellow here, but not sure I love this shade.
- My husband made the headboard (this was our first Master bed) and armoire.
This is where YOU come in. I’ve got it painted, and one mirror hung on the wall, but I can’t decide what else to do with this room! So I’m going to list some questions below, answer 1 or all, I’d love some input and feedback! I don’t know how to NOT decorate with pictures, and I’m just kinda stumped here! I’ve actually thought about decorating this room with landscape pictures from our travels, but the wall is so long and awkward, I just can’t decide where to start. I have this white armoire that my husband built me nearly 10 years ago that could have a TV in it, but I’m not sure where to put it in the room, and it all depends on what I do to decorate that big wall. There is also an older rocking chair that I just can’t get rid of, as the only real seating in there besides the bed.
- Where would you put the chair?
- Where would you but the armoire?
- How to arrange pictures or artwork on that walls space?
- What color to paint bed side tables?
- What color/type of lamp for other side of table–same or different as one there?
- Hang something to the left of the window?
- Hang something above side tables?
Also, I already know that I need a bigger/longer curtain rod. This one got slapped up just hours before my aforementioned friends came into town, and it totally under estimated on the size. I also want to put more backing on the drapes, but I guess if they weren’t in front of the window light, the dark navy would show up better.
Here are two pictures of the wall I’m seeking advice for. Long and empty! It does have one little canvas of the Golden Gate Bridge on it though. I thought about a shelf going along the length of it, about 2 feet down from the ceiling, with lots of frames and travel pictures on it.
That’s it, folks! All of the angles you could ever desire of this room/space. I’ve got one wall down, now need some help on the rest! I can’t for the life of me find a good “before” picture, just imagine beige walls with nothing on them!
To see other rooms in our home, you might enjoy our Home Tour! I like color.
Disclosure: I was compensated in the form of paint for this post, all opinions are my own.
Want a FREE copy of 10 Intentional Ways to Bring your Family Closer Together e-book? Enter your email below!